Today’s Story of the Day is “Prairie Dog Day”.
Link to the Story
Background of Story
We all know how much we love it when a groundhog doesn’t see his shadow on Groundhog Day. However, we also know how mad we can get at a groundhog when he does see his shadow because we know that means we have six more weeks of winter. What if we could have two animals that could predict an early spring? I think that would be wonderful because then we could choose which animal predicts the best result for us.
- Peter Prairie Dog – tricked his cousin Gerald so he could have all the attention of the crowd and reporters to himself
- Patty – Peter Prairie Dog’s wife, spoke about how she couldn’t see why prairie dogs couldn’t predict an early spring
- Gerald Groundhog – Peter Prairie Dog’s cousin. He let Peter Prairie Dog trick him into thinking the reporters should come and fetch him out of his den for Groundhog Day.
Moral of the Day
- If you want something bad enough, you will find a way to get it.
- Example: Peter Prairie Dog wanted to change Groundhog Day to Prairie Dog Day.
Word of the Day
- groundhog – A groundhog is an animal that can tell us whether we are going to have an early spring or six more weeks of winter.